Thursday, July 15, 2010

My Grandma

I can't post about one grandma without also acknowledging my other grandma, Alma Grace Smith.  This was another woman of strength from my past.  She died when I was just 21 years old, but I have great memories of time spent with her.  She bore and raised 13 children in the mountains of West Virginia.  I have recently been given a collection of letters she wrote to an uncle who died in Korea during that war. Each letter made me smile as I read her words detailing her love for her family and home. Again, her life was one of hard work and poverty but my fondest memory is of her belly laugh.  She would laugh till tears came to her eyes in that deep voice of hers. She loved with unconditional love. There were 51 grandchildren yet we all felt special in her eyes.  We all knew she would welcome us with a hug that enveloped us from head to toes.  Grandma, I still miss you every day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home