Monday, May 24, 2010

Unsung Hero in Feminism

I was recently alerted through a blog by Letha Scanzoni (72-27) about the unsung giant in the Civil Rights Movement and the Feminist Movement.  She passed away in April at the age of 98 and you can read about her life in a New York Times article. I consider myself to be well-educated about the Civil Rights Movement but I confess this is the first time I have heard the name of this hero.  Why is this?  Perhaps it is my oversight and others are aware of her accomplishments but I rather believe it is because her accomplishments have not been hailed by historians.  And if that is true, why not?  It makes me suspect that there are many more unsung female heroes out there whose accomplishments we will never know.  It does not mean that their deeds were unimportant but it is disturbing to me that some kind of censorship has prohibited the accomplishments of women like Dorthy to remain buried.  I commend the National Visionary Leadership Project for highlighting Dorthy Height and encourage you to check out her life if you are like me and reading about her for the first time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home